Sunday, January 07, 2007

I hope I can capture an occurence that happened here on Friday. I had spent a good part of the morning updating the blog. When I finished and tried to publish the update, my update disappeared. I am not computer savvy so I enlisted Rose's assistance. She said things don't just disappear and the update must be somewhere but she couldn't find it. When Chris comes over, the three of us bombarded him with questions and problems that he can usually solve. My question that day was "Where is my update?" He messed with my computer for a while and then told us this story.

When he was in high school he once was assigned reading and making a book report on the novel The Old Man and the Sea. He waited until the last minute and was up typing the report on his first computer, an Apple 2E, at eleven o'clock the night before the report was due when an electrical storm came up. The power in the house went off momentarily. When the power came back on, his nearly completed report was gone. Try as he might, he couldn't retrieve his work and had to start all over. What he was telling me was that sometimes things disappear and can't be retrieved.

After he left and was at a poker game with his friends, I called him to tease him that he was right and sometimes things just disappear and can't be found. I couldn't find my blog update but, in the process of searching, I found his Old Man and the Sea report he had lost in eleventh grade. Needless to say, he didn't believe me. If anyone finds my update please post it.

Jana, John, and Ellie got home from Christmas in Kansas. They didn't incur any bad weather with all the storms in some parts of Kansas.

Pete called Saturday morning. Bernie and Maudie had arrived in Arizona Friday tired from their travels. The four of them went to dinner and then to bed early to recuperate.

Rose got some new saws for Christmas and has been busy at carpenter work all day. She is building some more bookshelves in their office in the basement. For those of you who haven't been here, the bathrooms are the only rooms in the house without bookshelves. They may be next.

No comments: