Sunday, May 25, 2008

Hi Family!! It's your long lost relative from the North checking in. It has been xxxx amount of months since my last entry and I have a long list of events to try to detail for you. We have been keeping ourselves busy and now with the spring upon us that is taking me more and more outside. Well, in the winter it was skiing on great snowy days and hiking in the Columbia River Gorge on nicer days, I guess now it's staying home and getting my chores done! I still try to compete with Uncle Norman on getting my vegetable garden going, (btw - he's not competing with me - I am so impressed by his green thumb that I'm just trying to keep up!!)

I worked outside yesterday from 8 a.m. until 4:22, ( yes, I looked at the clock when I got back in the house!) and was one tired gardener! Last year I skipped putting in a garden and even though I rototilled it last fall the crab grass took over! I had even rototilled in my strawberry patch and was expecting to have to replant new berry plants, but - to my surprise - this spring produced a new crop of strawberries intertwined in a thriving crop of crab grass!! I had to surgically remove the crab grass runners from the strawberry plants' roots, re-till and re-plant the strawberries!! Goodness what a chore. It's beautiful now with over 60 everbearing strawberry plants that are starting to set on. My friend Marilyn who is an avid gardener came over to help for a couple of hours. It was nice to have the company and made the time go by quicker.

Glenn called and dropped in just as I was putting dinner on the barbie! It was so nice to have someone to share dinner in the backyard with. We had grilled tuna and veggies and a big salad and sat on the patio enjoying the evening. It wasn't 15 minutes after he left that a beautiful and impressive thunderstorm hit at sunset. I made a cup of decaf in the french press and sat on the front porch watching the light show. It was a great end to a great day!

We are all waiting to hear how Mom's trip to Alaska went. The timing of her departure corresponded with Mother's Day. She and a friend from church drove over from Spokane to Seattle (about 5 hours drive) on Saturday before Mother's Day and so Cyndi, Kyle, Jake, Tammy, and I drove up to spend the day with her at Doug and Cecile's home north of Seattle. Doug has been their chauffeur first to catch the train in Edmonds (also north of Seattle), where they caught the train on Monday the 12th to Victoria, BC. He will pick them up tonight at Sea-Tac airport at 8:30. We can't wait to hear how marvelous Mom's adventure was!! They caught the ship in Victoria and headed north to Alaska! They had several jaunts to take on the way and their last leg was across land to catch a flight home from either Juno or Fairbanks. I don't remember exactly, but we'll get the scoop when we hear from her. I think they will make the drive back to Spokane on Memorial Day. I don't think any of us have talked to Mom since she left two weeks ago. We were afraid of the expense to call her cell phone while she was in Canada, so we all just left her alone. (Do you think she planned it that way? Hmmm...the trouble some people need to go to in order to have some peace and quiet!! Honestly! LOL)

I don't think I can catch you all up on the last few months since I wrote, so I'll just highlight some of the things that I remember:
  • January - Glenn's birthday - Monica (Peggy's youngest) moved in with me.
  • February - Kyle Langston turned 18! Kaye-Kaye's birthday. Nate (Kaye's oldest) and his wife Danielle celebrated their 3rd(?) wedding anniversary. Monica went snowboarding for the first time!
  • March - Tammy and Cyndi both celebrated their birthdays. Kyle and Jake came down for a snowboarding trip to Mt. Hood. We joined some friends there and had a blast night skiing. Ski Bowl is the largest night skiing resort ever invented, (like in the world or something, really!). The snow was great! Tyson called me from Florida while I was on the chair lift. It was perfect that I could get cell phone reception up there. He was so jealous of the great snow and playful time on the mountain! I hope he plans to come home soon. I told him the mountain missed him.
  • April - Cecile's and Dave's birthdays. The Langstons came down for a ski trip for Dave's birthday (Cyndi's husband), but the weather turned and so we hiked instead. We pulled together a birthday party in the backyard. The weather was so nice we barbequed and played bocci ball! What a contrast to just two weeks before when we were skiing!! That's the NW for you. We had Doug and Cecile down too for part of their spring break vacation time. (Cecile teaches high school French in Everett, WA). They hadn't kept up with American Idol so we had to play the past episodes to get them up to speed. Congrats on David Cook from MO being the winner!!
  • May - Anna's birthday. Kyle Lanston's Eagle Scout Court of Honor in Olympia. Mom, Anna and Dan made a whirlwind trip of the event. Glenn and Matt, (Steve's youngest) and I all traversed up from Portland. Tammy and Dick were in Whistler, Canada and jumped in the car that morning to make it by the 3:00 event time. Doug and Cecile made it down from Bothell, (their home north of Seattle). The event took place at Camp Thunderbird, the Boy
    Scout camp where Kyle was a camp counselor for three summers. The event was attended by some dignitaries like the Mayor of Lacey, the Port of Olympia Commissioner, the City Manager of Yakima lots of friends and family about 100 or so attendees. (download the pics with this link: http://www.photoshow.com/watch/kS9Zk3fA ) Kyle and his friend Mike shared the event. They were in the same troop for many years and helped each other along the way. Dave, (Kyle's Dad) was honored by both of the boys with a Mentor pin for being a help and an inspiration to them both as they were growing up in Scounting. Kyle's Eagle project was to plan a restoration of Woodland Creek and the rebuilding of a footbridge on the property of St. Martin's Abbey. Kyle coordinated with, the Port of Olympia, the Abbey and St. Martin's University to fund, design, and restore the property. Very impressive!!
  • June - lots of birthdays!! Steve's three boys, Dad's anniversary and his 80th birthday! Tammy's (masters) and Kyle's (high school) graduation! Mom and I will travel to Missouri!! (More to come later on this. )

We are so looking forward to seeing you all in a couple of weeks! I will try to post some pics when I next update. Welcome home Auntie M! We are so glad to see you on the mend. Hope all are well and we are keeping you in our prayers!!

Much love,

The 2Ls

No comments: