Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Wednesday after another eventful stay at the lake. Maddog and I were sitting on the deck Friday afternoon when Ray and Trish came by for a beer and visit. They had just left when a boatload pulled up to the swimdock. Some of the guys were buddies of Scott's and hadn't been there since Kids Week 1995. With Scott's guidance from the cellphone they were able to find us without much trouble.

Maddog went back over to his dad's Sunday to celebrate Father's Day and Chris and Shelly spent the day at the lake. Chris messed with my computer while Shelly alternated between sunbathing and working around the house. He claimed he did a lot to my computer but what Shelly did was much more noticeable to me. Thanks to both of you.

Sandi had spent the weekend with the Abbotts and had gone to Nathan and Nicole's wedding on Saturday night. I've heard it was a gala affair and hope one of our contributors will post pictures and details on this blog. Congratulations to the bride and groom.

Chris and Shelly left Sunday night and Sandi arrived. She and I got up early Monday morning and 'headed for Turnbo'. We stopped in Conway for Maudie. Her sister, Vivian, wouldn't join us though we tried every which way to coerce her. We met Joe, Lisa, Lydia and David in Marshfield at an upscale 'Miss Muzzy's'. Dave was our driver. Lydia is 16 now and has her license but didn't want to drive. Pete, I told her that you taught me to drive when I was 16 and not only did I learn to drive then but I also learned some new words.

Dave took us first to 'drag the gut' i.e. circle the square. Some of the buildings are still standing but some are just empty lots. The Cotton Shoppe is just an empty lot. Did I mispell it right? We then drove around town a bit. The cemetery is very well kept and we lingered here for a bit. The old house in town is pretty pitiful looking and smaller than I recollect.

Now, on to Turnbo Joe had gotten permission from the current owner (Frank Andreatta) for us to go down the lane to where the house used to be. There were horses in pasture there so we had to watch our step. We were watching for snakes anyway so had no trouble. The two silos were still there. The cellar was visible but no one was brave enough to go inside. There was a hole that Joe and Margaret said was the well. When Joe wins the lottery he's going to excavate down there because he's sure there's something worthwhile down there. Joe held my arm and helped me get through all the rubble and brush but warned me that if he saw a snake I was on my own. Dave helped me back to the car and they traipsed around in the brush for another hour. I waited where it was cool and there were no chiggers or ticks.

We got back in the car and David took us to Shockey Ford. Lydia took her shoes off and went wading in the cool water. I'm know the rest of us wanted to. I think we used to swim here as kids. It was such a wonderful day I think we all hated to see it end.

Sandi and I took Maudie back to Conway and had dinner with her and Vivian before we headed back for the lake. We thought Tuesday was going to be a boring day but we convinced Margaret and Norm that a trip to the lake was in order and they hopped in the truck and joined us. Margaret isn't exactly hopping but is walking now and getting around pretty well. Sandi went back down to Conway and got Maudie and we had another wonderful day.

1 comment:

Rose F. Holt said...

Dear Readers, in case you couldn't tell, this post is actually Sue's. She typed it on my computer which automatically signs in under my name.