Saturday, August 02, 2008

Hi Family!
Thanks to Uncle Joe for posting the link to the Marshfield fire. I did tell him I would post it, but didn't get to it before now. What a sad event. Just glad I got the chance to "drag-the-gut" with the family in the Square before it burned. It just wouldn't have been the same with a burned-out building there.
Hey, I had the idea the other day of doing a posting on Remember My Dad. I woke up with it on my mind and thought of putting something together. So, I'm posting a few pictures in his memory. As some of you may know, a few of us got together on his one year anniversary on June 3rd this year and attended a Mariner's baseball game. We wanted to be together and missed having Mom with us. She was on her way to Montana to meet with her friend Fran Marlar as they were embarking on their Missouri trip, so she couldn't be with us. Four of us, as many as were able, since it was a Tuesday evening, met in Seattle and had dinner and went to the game. Dad loved the Mariner's and was a faithful fan. He was watching a game when he died a year ago, so it was fitting to commemorate his passing with a fun event that he would have enjoyed. I think it was Cyndi's husband Dave's idea, but he wasn't able to attend.
I drove to Olympia and picked up Cyndi, we drove to Seattle and met Doug and Tammy. Tammy was in Seattle on business and had carpooled there so she rode home with us. Doug lives just north of Seattle in Bothell, so it was perfect to meet at a restaurant across the street from Safeco Field. As luck would have it, it was raining like crazy!!! We met for dinner and had more fun chatting and reminiscing than we did watching the game. We reluctantly left the restaurant about the 3rd inning and headed over to the game. You'd think the M's could have at least won the game!! At least they were true to form!






Cheers!! (l to r) Sandi, Tammy, Cyndi and Doug.






Doug and Tammy were remembering some of Dad's quirky sayings. I didn't remember this one: "That fits like a sock on a rooster!" He had so many funny ways of putting things into perspective. It sure made you think about it!
I remember so fondly his laugh. Sometimes he would get so tickled he couldn't breathe and you started to wonder if he was alright. We'd have to give a look to Mom for reassurance that he was okay because she could always tell if he was going to start breathing again. He enjoyed his family! I'll bet you all had a taste of him bragging about his kids - I don't think he did enough bragging about our mother! She is the reason his life was so successful and long!

Train ride at the beach with Mom! Sept 2003
He loved projects! He loved hard work! He and Mom instilled in all of us the value of a good job done right! They both had raised us with a deep sense of fairness and loyalty. I value those traits they taught us along with honesty and integrity. They demonstrated them to us by their example. Looking back at Dad's life I remember his character more than any accomplishment he had - and there were many. Just raising 10 people to live productive lives is enough but there was so much more. I realize as I write this that I am not an authority on all the accomplishments of his life. He was a big brother, a son, an uncle, a patriot! He was a businessman, husband and father. He was a community leader and a mentor. He loved to travel, enjoy his family and friends and a treasured a good conversation on the deck at home. He cared for all of us and insisted on feeding us annually with the steers he and Mom bought and tended to all year so we could have meat on the table for our families.






Sitting on the deck with Mike and Cyndi.















Tending the Fire at the annual meat wrapping weekend!


I have lots of fun memories of my Dad. As a little girl walking into church holding his hand and saying, "I'm happy Daddy!" and feeling him squeeze my hand in reply. I wish I could tell him that now because I am happy in my life and owe a lot of that happiness to him for his influence in my life. I know there was so much more to his life than I can recall here.
I would like to invite others to put in their two cents. Anyone can comment by clicking the red comment field at the end of this posting. It would be fun to hear some of your memories of the "Old Guy". To remember some of his funny sayings or cherished stories of how he affected your life. Got pictures? You can send comments or pics to my email address as well, if you'd like. I can be contacted at safelli@hotmail.com . Thanks for indulging me as I reminisce. So many of you have helped us through this past year as we have learned to say good-bye. We look back fondly with smiles mixed with tears and are learning how to make new memories in these days ahead.
Have fun recalling your own memories!
Love,
The 2Ls

No comments: