Saturday, February 27, 2010

It's early morning and I've already been up 45 minutes. As Brother Pete would say, I'm through sleeping and through resting my face and hands. It's an hour earlier in Idaho so I don't expect him to call for a while. Rose and Shirley are still sleeping.

I received really bad news yesterday. My friend Melba died yesterday morning. Shad had lung surgery last Friday and then had had a stroke on Saturday. Her kidneys shut down on Thursday though she had had catheters in for some time. She started having small strokes Thursday evening and the family decided not to keep her the way she was getting to be. Roger (her husband) called me yesterday morning to give me the bad news. Melba and I go back a long way. She and Brick and I worked together at GMAC for years. She also knew most of my friends at GMAC and my friend Liz who still works for GMAC but in Chicago. The service is Tuesday, and I don't know if Liz can come. Melba knew Scott, Chris, Mark Lary, and Mark Lary took me to see her when she was in the hospital not long ago. She has a new (7 week old) great grandson.

The visitation will be Monday evening at Kutis on Gravois and the service will be Tuesday at 11:00 A.M. at Kutis. Melba had a wonderful sense of humor. When I've told people here of her death, people who barely knew her, that's what they first say they remember about her. Most have you, especially my siblings, have met her on some occasion in Missouri. She was there with me through most of the good and bad happenings in my life. She's left a good impression on everyone she's met. For example, Goldman is going to take me down to there house with some food for the next couple days. I've had several offers of people who will take me to the services. Rose especially wants to go. I'm sure Melba is in heaven. Roger said she had that "old time religion."

Other things this week - Ding and I went to our favorite restaurant Thursday and got our regular waiter. We had the same thing we usually have. I can't spell it. Our waiter is a student studying criminal justice, and Ding told him we aren't criminals. I said "I'm not anyway. Let me know when you finish school!" When we left he said "See you next Thursday" Ding then told him about his skiing trip to Idaho and how his cousin who is going to make him and his brother look like amateurs.

No comments: