Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Sandi Fellin, daughter of our late brother Bernie, sent this delightful update to Sue. It is too good not to share:

Hi Aunt Sue,

Nice to hear from you. I don't check my email every day especially when I'm working so I'm not quick about getting back to you. How have you been doing? I hear you are improving. How wonderful! I was alarmed to hear about dear Uncle Norm and Aunt Margaret having troubles. I am on Face Book, but didn't see much there since I haven't been on my computer. I will need to catch up and see how they are doing. I will keep you all in my prayers. I hope Uncle Norman knows that this little ambulance ride doesn't get him out of the gardening contest this year. We are experiencing an early spring here so I'm watching the daffodils and the trees blossom. My rhubarb plant is up to my knees and the raspberries are leafing out. You'd think our milder weather would give me a head start on my garden, but Uncle Norm always seems to overtake me no matter how early I begin. Bring it Uncle!

I guess I don't have much news from our neck-of-the-woods. Cyndi and Dave went on a cruise and Mom came over to stay with the boys - although their boys are practically grown, (Kyle is 20 and in college - very independant and Jake is 16 and a sophomore in H.S.), they hardly need a babysitter - it was mainly a nice excuse to have Grandma come over to our side of the mountains. All of us on the west coast wrangled her for a visit, so we kept her busy for the week she was here. Cyndi and Dave flew in and out of Portland so I got to see them coming and going. It was fun - made me feel like part of their vacation. They need to leave town more often so we can have Mom here for a visit! Hee hee.

Dave just took a new job managing a pizza restaurant with a friend after 20+ years with Red Robin. Big move for them, but this will afford the Langstons more family time since Dave's commute went from 45 minutes each way to about 5. He said he might even start commuting by bicycle. He had his first training day today learning how to throw pizza dough. He said it's not as easy as it looks. Such a bold and exciting move for their family. It takes guts to leave a job after all that time, but it is a great opportunity.

Mom brought me a quilt that she had made. She had some quilting squares that my Grandma Larimore had started, so Mom took them and made a quilt for me! It is beautiful! It is all hand sewed except for the final edge around the backing. (Does that make sense?) Such beautiful even stitches - each one perfectly placed and each a prayerful touch from my Mom. I couldn't treasure anything more. I have it on the guest bed upstairs - I don't want to use it everyday. It's my very own heirloom. We traded. I gave her a quilt that needed mending so she took it home with her to give it her expert touch. She is amazing and so loving to do these for me. Who can keep up with my Mom?

We have family - on Mom's side - stationed here in St. Lewis - just north of where Cyndi and Tammy live near Olympia. (Let's see, it's my cousin Beverly's son Brian and his wife Christie and their 5 children. So, Aunt Viv's grandson and family. Got that?) They are such wonderful folks! They are very homesick so it was nice for "Miss Maudie" as they call her, to come for a visit. Mom hurried home to Spokane after a week to get there in time for an important grange meeting and hardly had time to rest up from her visit. We dragged her all over the place while she was here.

Looks like I'll be working out on the Trading Floor for the summer again this year. This means I will be working Monday thru Friday - what a grind! (hee hee) Working 5 days a week is a slave schedule. I am used to 3-4 longer days, so going into work every day is torture. I hope to have some company this summer and maybe a project or two so it should keep me busy. I will be going to Florida to visit Tyson and of course trying to do Aunt Camp this summer if any of those busy kids has time for their old auntie. (Sigh - where does the time go? They are all grown up!) I'll have to start on the next generation, I guess.

I tried out a new pasta recipe that uses lots of fresh tomatoes. Told you I was boring!! It's a great one though, and easy, so if you's like a new idea for dinner I can forward that on.

Sorry to say it, but that's all I got! Hope this note finds you all well and enjoying the Spring weather. Wish we were closer, but technology helps. Give each other hugs for me.
Blessings,
Sandi 2L

No comments: