Wednesday, May 12, 2010





Sue received this lovely e-mail from our niece, Sandi Fellin, who lives in Portland:

"Hi Aunt Sue,

Happy Mother's Day! So nice to hear from you. How did you know I was thinking of you yesterday? I was at work so I couldn't email you so I was delighted to receive your note when I logged on this morning.

All is well here. We had a nice visit with Mom last weekend. She was over on our side of the mountains and so six of us got together with our families and joined her at Tammy's for a Mother's Day brunch a week early. The weather was cool so we were indoors but we bundled up against the wind afterward and took the dogs to the off-leash park for an hour or so and got a good walk in. Mom keeps up with us as we walk briskly about the open field where Tammy and Cyndi bring their dogs to run freely. Tammy says that there is a coyote that has confronted her dogs out there a couple of times so it is a very rural area. So nice to be together and enjoy some exercise and let the dogs have fun. I'm not a pet person per se, so I love to go so I can live vicariously through my sisters' pets.

Here's a picutre of us all on Tammy's porch. (attached) We always try to pose for pic on the porch when we are altogether esp. at Tammy's - it's become a tradition for us. Doug and Cecile had to leave so we tortured them with a group shot on the porch before we could let them go. As we were getting set up, I waved to a passer-by on the street in front of the house and, to my surprise, a gentleman pulled over and graciously used 3 different cameras to get various shots of our motley crew! So much fun. We are a rag-a-muffin group, but so enjoy our times together. As you know, a big family is such a great blessing! We loved our day together, celebrating our mom.

Yes, I know it's May, but Mother had to wait to leave to go home until Tuesday - she had planned to head home Monday afternoon. It's about a 5-6 hour drive for her over the mountain pass, (in her new Honda Accord!). There was a storm that blew through and dumped 6 inches of snow in the mountains and so we twisted her arm to stay another day!

Dave and Cyndi have Sunday and Monday off together. In the afternoon on Monday Dave announced this storm with wind and rain (i.e. rain in the city = snow in the mountains) was headed our way. So we jumped up and ran out to get the yardwork done before it hit. Kyle and Jake manned dueling lawnmowers and Dave tackled the edging (and I don't know what else because I was doing other stuff...). Cyndi and I swept up pine needles and the patio and sidewalks, weeded the flowerbeds and helped Dave plant some dahlias. Mom sat in the sunny living room with her feet up and her nose in her book, enjoying the peace and quiet and watching out the window at our exuberance as we raced against the storm. We had so much fun! (Well, honestly one of the boys was less thrilled than the other, but we encouraged him and ended up getting everything done with a smile. Good times!) After we got done in the yard we packed up the Jack Russel Terrier named Louie and went for another long walk at the dog run. Storm or no - we were die-hards. Mom said she felt so much better after getting some exercise and we all agreed. (Hmmm....there wasn't anyone else at the dog park - I wonder why not?! Lightweights!)

The next morning could mean leaving during rush-hour traffic through Seattle - something every person should try to avoid. Mom could leave at 6 a.m. and get to the pass by 11:30 or stay until 9 a.m. and get to the pass at 11:30. So....she stayed and we saw Cyndi and Dave off to work and Kyle and Jake off to school and then we left. We caravaned our Hondas to the freeway entrance - I went south to Portland she headed north to Seattle then east to Spokane. She said the pass was 37 degrees and the roads were plowed and just wet as she went through. She got home in time for a 4:30 appointment - safe and sound. It was such a nice time.

Nice to hear you are at the lake. (Just thinking of that drive from St. Louis to the lake makes me think of the Steak-and-Shake. We don't have them here. hee hee). I would love to come for a visit. I don't know when I could come, I'd want to bring others with me. I have a work conflict for most of the summer so it might have to be September or October. I will keep it foremost in my mind and try to make it happen. Thanks for the invite - I know your doors are always open.

My son is still in Florida. He called me last night and we "had dinner together". We talked for a long time - until his cell phone was dead. I love hearing how he's doing. He really shares his heart with me so even though he's a gazillion miles away I feel like I'm in touch with his life. Such a blessing! He gave me a lilac bush for Mother's Day several years ago. He is allergic to lilacs so it was a sacrifice for him, but he knows I love them. It is so nice because it blooms around Mother's Day and as I type this it is in viewi just outside my window in full bloom. I think I'll cut some and bring them in to enjoy this afternoon. Today Ty is heading up to see his other grandma that lives about an hour north of him in Bayonet Point, FL. He is very sweet to remember her. I should get a call later after he's back to fill me in on how she's doing.

I am spending the afternoon with my niece Monica. We are going for a hike out in the Columia River Gorge. She is texting me now to say she's on her way. She's mom-less and I'm kid-less so it's a perfect day for us to spend together.Give big hugs to the clan out there for me. Thanks again for keeping in touch. I'll let you know when my plans come together, but I will try to make a visit your way happen this year. (I still owe Uncle Pete and Aunt Janet a visit from last summer - it just didn't happen - still on my radar though.)

Gotta run!
Love you,
Sandi LL"

Sandy also sent this photo:

No comments: