Thursday, January 20, 2011

Finally got some information from the surgeon (or his nurse probably) that was news but not exactly what I was hoping to hear. I can now put 25% of my weight on my left foot. I'm not sure how they measure that to be certain it's only 25%, but I guess I will find out when I see the therapist tomorrow. I was at a plateau on therapy until I could put weight on my left ankle so now my healing will hopefully benefit from the therapy with the resumption of exercise in different ways. The therapist is very encouraging, but today he was frustrated with the surgeon for not answering his request for an update about the X-rays he had sent over there yesterday. He said he had never called one place as often in one day.

Meanwhile, the surgeon won't change the cast until at least February 4 when he wants to see me and/or I have another X-ray. I probably will be here until then and hope he lets me go home on that date. I guess my bones are healing nicely according to yesterday's X-rays. I'll have home therapy and outpatient therapy after I'm released. Rose says most people exercise in their youth but I've taken it up oppositely. The physical therapist was the one who made the calls to the surgeon.

We had several inches of snow this morning. There were lots of school closings including Goldman's. He went over and shoveled for Rose and Shirley but got stuck in his own driveway as he was leaving his house. He made it!

---------

Hello, Rose here on Sue's Blogger account. Barnes Jewish Extended Care, where Sue is rehabbing, does not have internet access. Sue has been writing her updates on her computer. I bring the computer home, sign onto her account and post her news. Same with e-mails she gets. I print them out and she types up responses which I send later.

Sue is faring pretty well in BJEC. The staff is almost universally kind and caring (unlike SSM where she was immediately after surgery). She goes to the very nice dining room for lunch and dinner each day and has found companionable folk to dine with. The occupational and physical therapists are extremely professional and competent. It will be five weeks tomorrow that Sue suffered the break. The report from the surgeon today was encouraging but not as much as Sue was hoping for.

One added note: Thank God for Goldman and Chris! And let us not forget Shelly! She is hosting a shower for Katie, Sue's granddaughter, on Saturday. Katie and husband Austin are expecting a daughter in March. Shelly is quite the hostess, and we much appreciate her opening her home for this event. Yesterday Chris told me he was very busy because he was on "shower duty." I thought he was talking about his job, and asked, "What the hell is 'shower duty?'" His answer: "With the shower coming up on Saturday, I am doing whatever Shelly asks me to do!" Shelly also shows up regularly at BJEC with Sue's favorite treat--a steakburger with pickles, Ketchup, and onion.

No comments: