Saturday, March 12, 2011

I'm behind on my postings so this may be longer than usual. I've been diligent about my exercise and although the therapists who come here to the house are helping me regain strength and go over the exercises with me, I have also been trying hard to regain more use of my hands. When Pete called this morning with his weekly Saturday call I asked him why he never Emails. He said he types too slowly. He and I could have a SLOW race. The nurse who comes here told me I was what they deem homebound and that's why the therapists come to the house. We didn't tell her I had gone to the lake last weekend. We did confess that I'm going to Louisville next week but not that I'm flying. Rose is giving a presentation in Chicago. She and Shirley are going up there and they don't want me to stay alone.

Margaret had one cataract removed and will have the other one done this Thursday. Rose has already had them removed and recently Ding (aka Chris) had cataract surgery in one eye, unusual for a person so young.. He says he has the eyes of a 75 year old man. Ding, will you update here? He's been exercising a lot, so needs to get those eyes caught up with the rest of him.

I just got back from going to see Fat Jack. Goldman took me, and he and I decided we will go more often. Jack is in an extended care facility in Belleville. His spirits were sorta low today which is unlike him. He said tell everyone hello. Lots of you may remember him from his singing 'Amazing Grace' at Denny's funeral. He also sang "Through the Years" at our wedding.

Thursday is Pet Therapy Day at the extended care facility I was in. Ding, Shelly, and Eli (the dog they found in Washington State Park) brought hamburgers, onion rings and French fries. My buddies, Jack and Nels, had reserved the library for our dinner. Jack knew about horses, and he and Shelly discussed horses. When Jack learned Shelly's horse was 30 years old, he told me confidentially that that's near their life span. He wanted to know if Shelly knew it. They all knew about dogs. At one point Eli jumped up and grabbed an onion ring out of my hand. I exclaimed "Damn dog!" Everyone in the library chastised me for cussing the dog. I decided next time we just won't have onion rings. After dinner Chris and Shelly and Eli had to leave but I stayed to play Bingo. Nels walked me to the door. Shirley came to get me. I was afraid the front door would be locked and I wasn't sure where the back door was. Shirley knew both front and back. One of the employees waited a few minutes to let me out the front. We're going to do this again Tuesday and hope Sabrina joins us.

It's been a while since I wrote the first part of this update. I had to stop and take my afternoon rest. Rose and Shirley are over at the Apple computer store for the second time in two days. Rose is really wanting the updated IPad. She's been just waiting for it to be on the market. Then, last night, by the time she got someone to help her, they were sold out. She and Shirley have been gone for quite a while so maybe the store got more of them in. I got my MacBookAir a few weeks before I broke my ankle so have had only a few lessons so far. Rose and I usually go at the same time for our private computer tutoring. Rose and Shirley just got home. No IPad. Just disappointment.

Norm and Margaret's granddaughter, Erica (Randy and Lynn's daughter), has earned a full scholarship to complete a semester of her senior college year in Spain. Quite an accomplishment!! Her first three years have been spent at Westminster in Fulton. I'll add more about this special happening as she learns more. YOU GO, ERICA!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First of all, only me left eye was that of a 75 year old man. My left eye is decidedly 41. Secondly, in fairness to Eli, Mom was holding that onion ring down next to him. And he did not take it, as she still had it in her hand. However, I am certain he did taste it.