Thursday, June 20, 2013

UPDATE

I am having Rose type for me this morning.

This has been an eventful and awful period. I am still in Barnes-Jewish Hospital (Big Barnes). It looks like I will be here at least one more day.  Now Dr. Lopate, my neurologist for neuropathy, has taken over my care and treatment.   He has indicated my problems with unsteadiness, tremors, and falling have to do with changes in my medications.  My neurologist who treats my epilepsy, Dr. Hogan, had me come into the hospital.  With all the monitoring of my brain activity over four days, his staff concluded I was NOT having seizures, that the problem was something else.  Unfortunately, Dr. Hogan has been out of town. This afternoon Dr. Lopate has ordered an MRI.   The next step, post-hospital, will be a short (I hope) stay in a rehab facility so that I can get my strength and balance back.

The nurses and other staff on this floor (the 11th) are universally kind and helpful.  Rose tells me valet parking personnel know her, and treat her with equal kindness and courtesy.  I could not imagine better care here.  Of course, Chris, Shelly, Mark Goldman, and Rose have hovered, bringing me "unhospital" food. Scott and Beth are checking in. I suspect Beth had a hand in sending the flowers and candy. They are a Beth kind of thing.

My lovely friend, caregiver, (and Shaklee Representative), Linda, came to see me Tuesday.  On her way to my room, she got stuck in an elevator and had to be rescued by the maintenance staff.   Unruffled and undaunted, as is Linda's style, she arrived laughing about the ordeal.  Most of us would have been hysterical.  [The glue for the wires on my head is the devil to wash out.  I asked Rose to bring my Shaklee shampoo to get the stuff out.]

 Sadly enough, today is the day John and Jana and their daughters are arriving at the Lake. I don't know if I will get there before they have to leave on Sunday. It is doubtful. This makes me really sad. Jana even offered to drive to call for me if there is any chance I can make it. They are a lovely family!

No comments: