Friday, June 06, 2014

New Medicine

Friday morning and I'll start the post before anyone else is up.  It was a long day yesterday and will be a long tedious one today, especially for Rose and Shirley.  They have their drive to Chicago which will be their last for a while.  Rose took me me to see Dr. Lopate, the neurologist I've been seeing now for 8 years, and we spent some time in his neurological clinic with his young assistant.  Rose remembers better than I do when and where things occurred, so it was really really helpful having her with me.  The young doctor took lots of my history from us and consulted my charts before he left us and returned with Dr. Lopate.  Dr. Lopate took some more measurements of my strength, asked me some questions, consulted me about two paths we could follow and gave me his opinion.  I'm going to discontinue the IVIG that was helpful but doesn't seem to to be increasing my strength now.  The problem since last May is that my balance is way off.  We're going to try a new medicine called Sinemet.  It is not made specifically for MMN but may be helpful for treating some of the symptoms, especially lack of balance.  Rose and I stopped and had the prescription filled on our way home from the doctor.   It came with a set of complicated instructions, including cutting some of the pills in half for the beginning dosages.  I left the doctor's office with hope again.

As Rose was helping me give the young neurologist my history he could tell how close we are and he looked over at her and said 'You have to take care of yourself too, you know'  Then he asked how many siblings and our age differences.

Chris and I are off to the lake this afternoon.  I did over 1900 steps on my Fitbit bit yesterday.  Marnett is coming to spend the day with me.  She will stay until Chris arrives.  Mad Dog will have the air on at the lake house if need be when we arrive.  I've seen two humming birds this morning but I'm watching for more.

No comments: