Saturday, August 09, 2014

UPDATE

Poor Sis, these days it is a journey from one crisis to another.   I have delayed posting this new bad news but now feel I must.  On Thursday morning a nurse at BJEC called me to tell me Sue had had a period of 5-10 minutes when she was unresponsive.  The staff had helped her back to bed, and the house physician checked her over.  Later in the afternoon, again the nurse called to say Sue had had a severe seizure and the physician was sending her to the hospital (Barnes-Jewish downtown) by ambulance.

Wednesday evening I had come down with some awful respiratory thing and was very sick.  I called Chris and he immediately went to the hospital to meet the ambulance.  Then began a comedy of errors.  For whatever reason the EMT people rerouted Sue to St. Mary's Hospital, probably because it was closer by about 5-10 minutes.  The ER doctor at St. Mary's called me because he urgently needed background information about her.  He said she had already suffered three seizures while in the ER.  I answered his questions, then called Chris who went immediately to St. Mary's.  By the time he arrived, Sue was in an intensive care unit.

Chris has been going to see his mother every day, swinging by here to bring Shirley and me chicken-noodle soup.  Today he reports that Sue is being moved to a regular room, was sitting in a chair when he came in, and is much improved though not yet in her normal mind.

John and Jana and their girls are at the lake, as you read in the last entry.  Scott and Beth are in Mexico on their delayed honeymoon, due back tomorrow.  Shirley and I are both down with this awful "bug," on antibiotics, feverish, coughing, and generally miserable.

On a much happier note, Margaret Ann is doing remarkably well.  Stephanie posted a photo of her on Facebook in which she looks a whole like Mother.  I "lifted" the photo and will post it later.

  

No comments: