Tuesday, April 07, 2015

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, STEPHANIE!


Stephanie sent this update for the Gazette:

"I went for my Intrathecal Methatrexate treatment on Tuesday, March 24th, and had some complications.  It took 4 lumbar punctures before they were able to get any spinal fluid back and do the chemo treatment for the brain and central nervous system.  What should have taken about 15 minutes took 2 hours and I was very sedated by the time they were done.  We finally arrived home about 4:30 or so.  I went the next day to the oncologist for my check up and RCHOP chemo and when they too my temperature by for head, it was only 94.5.  It was  taken orally and it was 101.5, so everything was put on hold until the following Monday and a round of antibiotics.  I was able to get my RCHOP chemo, but it has moved things back by nearly a week, so we are going to be at this a bit longer.

While there the doctor gave me the results of the latest CT/PET scan and that appears to show that the tumors are beginning to shrink, PRAISE GOD!.  We will continue on this course of action until the chemo is done (I have one more round of the Intrathecal Methatrexate and 3 more of the RCHOP), then after 6 weeks they will do another CT/PET scan and check the progress of the tumors.  If there is more growth, then more chemo....if not then they will continue to follow up with scans periodically and we will do whatever is needed to treat this cancer.  It does have a 49% chance of recurrence within the first 4 years, so if you could add some prayers for me to be in the 51%, I would be most grateful.  Thank you so much for the prayers, the cards, the hats, and all the loving thoughts.  Anna (Fellin) thank you for the beautiful and comforting quilt.  I am attaching a picture.

Love you all,

Stef"

She also sent along the photograph of herself holding the quilt Anna made for her which we posted earlier.

Thanks for the update, Stephanie.  We wish you more good news and a speedy transit through the effects of the chemo.

Many of our readers have expressed an interest in helping Stephanie and Dan through this troubling time.  They have family and church people who help with the everyday needs like travel, shopping, and housekeeping.  They are having considerable financial difficulties.  Anyone wishing to help, please send your check to:  Stephanie and Dan Schmitt, 80 Michael Court, Troy, MO  63379.

No comments: