Saturday, June 20, 2015

RYAN'S RAMBLE - June 20, 2015


Ryan Holyk died June 5, 2014, after suffering severe injuries when his bicycle was hit by a speeding police car in Spokane, WA.   For details about the tragedy, click on this link:  http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2014/jun/05/teen-bicyclist-hit-deputy-dies/

Ryan lived several days after the event.  His parents donated his organs, the ultimate and extremely courageous gift of life.

Ryan was the great-grandson of Bernie (my brother) and Maudie Fellin, grandson of their daughter, Shirley (aka Peggy).  Ryan's mother (Shirley's daughter), Carrie Thompson and other family members sponsored a memorial race in Ryan's memory, "Ryan's Ramble," which was held in Spokane today.  Ryan was my great grand nephew.  Carrie told me that I had actually met Ryan when some of us travelled to Spokane for Bernie's funeral some years ago.

When I heard about the Ramble on Facebook some months ago, I immediately registered for it to stand in solidarity with Ryan's family.  This morning here in St. Louis,  I participated by going to the nearby school track and walking the 5K distance.







No comments: