Sunday, December 09, 2007

Margaret sent me the following in an e-mail and asked me to post it. Very good news and a great relief to us all! Thanks, Margaret.


This is Margaret. Auntie M, Mom, Marge, Mag, Sis, Maggie and I have probably been called other things in the last month or so.

I discovered a lump in my right breast around first of November. Naturally, it was on a Saturday and I had to wait until Monday to call my doctor. When I called I got an appointment right away, which should have been my first clue. By Wednesday, I had seen the surgeon and had all the tests necessary for surgery. Because I take a prescribed aspirin I had to wait 10 days for the surgery. I had this on the Friday 10 days later. This procedure was a one day surgery. The lump was removed along with exploration of several lymph nodes and I was quickly recoverying at home or so I thought. When I went back to following Wednesday, I was told the doctor had been unable to determine if all had been removed and I would have to go back under the knife again as soon as I was healed enough. Again, in a week or so, I had surgery and more tissue was removed. I went to the Surgeon this past Wednesday and he said everything was looking favorable but nothing had been returned from the lab yet. Then on Thursday, I had an appointment with Dr. Wilkes, the cancer dr.. who had just received word that all the final tissues had been examined and the outlook is very good.
I will have to take beast cancer prevention pills for 5 years. This will reduce the chance of recurrance to about 10 percent and I will start radiation therapy after the first of the year. It will last for six weeks with time off for Saturdays and Sundays.

Enough of that.

It is Sunday and the ice is heavy on the trees. We need not go out today and that is a good thing. I don't think we would get far. I talked to our son Randy who lives about 35 or so miles west of us and he said they were without power. He has a generator running and they have the crock pot going. When I told him I heard it (the electricity) could be out until Tuesday or Wednesday he decided they were not having as much fun as he thought.

I will sign off for now as Norm is making hot chocolate and I don't want to miss it. Again thanks for all the prayers and words of encouragement which has helped all of us through this ordeal.

No comments: