Monday, January 31, 2011

My friend Leslie from Springfield called yesterday. Her son Jeff and his family are still in Washington. Her second son Chase, the one who visited us over Christmas week, is now making his way across the country. Leslie said he was passing through Las Vegas, a journey I would love to take, not only to see Jeff and family but for the drive-by of Vegas.

We are starting the front end of a big winter storm. Lots of ice, sleet, and snow falling through Wednesday is the forecast.

Brayden called me yesterday. He and is brother are hoping for a snow day or two. Brayden will turn eight on February 12. Plans now are for Scott, Jalen, and Brayden to be in St. Louis to celebrate the birthday. He hasn’t told us what he wants for his birthday, and we haven’t told what he is getting from us.

Again, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, PETE!

I talk with Margaret almost every day. The Abbott clan is braced for this storm, which is coming from the west and will hit all of them before it hits us.

As you can imagine, this care facility is bor-ING, to quote Jalen and Brayden. Please, some blog updates and e-mails of news would be most welcome. Since I can’t access the internet here, Rose prints out stuff for me at home. She takes my computer home to post my blog entries and send my e-mails.

Today I begin “restorative” therapy—whatever that means. The physical therapists have various levels for therapy, restorative being one of them. Now Rose and I are allowed to walk down the hall with me hopping along, using my walker. I cannot wait to get this cast off and resume my normal life!

One of the things Rose and I are doing is talking with some of the nurse assistant trainees who intern here. We are seeking a lake companion for me over the summer. The interns are high school seniors. We are hoping to find someone interested in helping me and also getting a part-time lake job. We have some issues to resolve, primarily transportation and, of course, costs.

Unlike St. Mary’s Rehab, the staff here is universally kind and considerate. These interns get excellent training and indoctrination from seasoned staff members.

No comments: