Tuesday, May 25, 2004

You can reach Sue at (314) 452-3685 or (314) 726-2032. You can write to her c/o Rose Holt, 905 Barnard College Lane, St. Louis, MO 63130

And now you can add your comments, news items, etc., directly to this blog simply by double-clicking on "comments" and following the instructions. We especially like family members and friends adding items of interest as it is a way for many of us to keep in touch.

Over the weekend, Den and I went to the Lake. Dave and Judy Meisel made dinner for Den, neighbor Mike, and me. We had great weather and a restful time. Den returned to Chicago on Monday morning. We are nearly ready for the big season-opening Memorial Day Weekend at the Lake. Den will be back on Friday.

Our plot for the getting Scott's children has hatched. Scott and Jalen and Brayden will arrive on Friday here to pick me up for our weekend at the Lake. We will return to St. Louis on Monday. Scott will go on to Louisville, and the children will stay here with Rose, Shirley, and me. The following Friday Sabrina, Dave and boys Alex and Brett will be weekending at the Lake. The Smiths and I will take Jalen and Brayden with us, and somehow we will get them back to Scott early in the following week, which is the week of June 6.

The Mayo Clinic trip is shaping up. It looks like I will be there for tests on June 15, 16, and 17, but it is hard to predict in advance WHICH tests. That will be decided in the initial consult on June 15. It's a long time, hard to wait. Rose will go with me, and we'll try to make it as easy and productive as we possibly can. Hopefully, the neurologist there will find out what is wrong with me and give me a pill.

I have started seeing a new acupuncturist, Dr. Thomas Duckworth. He has encouraged me to quit all dairy products and cut out all sugar, wine excluded. I like him a lot and his work holds out some promise for helping the neuropathy. I saw him on Monday for the second time, and Thursday Chris and I will go back for my third treatment. Dr. Duckworth, so far, seems to be a throwback to the 60's with his long hair and bedside manner. My former acupuncturist, Dr. Ginger, was from China. Dr. Duckworth is from California, and it shows. The dietary restrictions are rough. Turns out sugar is in EVERYTHING. Shirley and Rose are like Holmes' Hounds in sniffing out anything forbidden. Like the old man from Marshfield said, "If I put it in mouth and it tastes good, I spit it out. I know I'm not supposed to have it."

I am continuing my physical therapy at St. Mary's Rehab Center on a weekly basis with Shelley and Susan, physical and hand therapist respectively. They both are encouraging and of great help in my journey. I can now leg press 85 pounds, and a few weeks ago that would have had zippo meaning to me.

We are considering buying a treadmill for use here at home. Niece Sabrina who is a researcher of such things, has shared with us information about treadmills she gleaned in the purchase of the Smith Family treadmill. Turns out the one Sabrina bought is also made by the same company that made the one in the St. Mary Rehab Center, and it is a very good one. More later when we get closer to the actual purchase.

Today is Shirley's birthday, and it is Sabrina's birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, YOU TWO! It is one to remember because our electrical power went off at 3:00 am and only came back on at 6:00 pm. We had terrific storms, hail, and torrential rain this afternoon. Quiet now.

It has been a week for entertaining. Rose and Shirley's friends, Boris and Marjorie, were here for dinner and overnight on Sunday. On Monday Marilyn and Jim Smith, friends of ours for a number of years, were here for dinner. They are staying at my house this week and will leave on Thursday to go on to Chicago. Tomorrow evening Aaron, Tiffany, and Haleigh will be here for dinner.



No comments: