Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Hi folks! I'm sitting in my home office in Portland watching the snow flurries! It has been so beautiful - we rarely get snow here - but it's also been uneventful since it's not sticking in the lower elevations where I am. We are expecting freezing rain overnight on Wednesday so I'll be staying at the DoubleTree when I get off work in the morning so I don't have to negotiate ice. Should be a great adventure!

We had a nice Thanksgiving here - hope all of you enjoyed being together. I loved hearing about the long distance baby shower Sabrina had - what a clever way to shrink the miles between the family members. I'm jealous of Sabrina getting to be a grandma - I can't wait until my son gets married and starts a family, (Hint Hint Ty!).

Our family was all over the place this year. Mom and Dad were in Olympia with Cyndi and her family. Tyson, (my son who just celebrated his 25th birthday! Wow, do I feel old!), along with my brother Steve and girlfriend Debbie, were also there. Anna with fiance' Dan in Chicago and Mike in Virginia with son Jordan. Kaye enjoyed dinner with her family in Phoenix; Glenn and I both worked so we went out for sushi in the evening. (How traditional is that? Have YOU ever tried eatting turkey with chopsticks? Glenn did. It was hilarious!) Doug and Celile spent the day with Cecile's family - we get them for Christmas - Yahoo! And Tammy headed to Cresent City, CA with Dick and his family. The only family left in Spokane was Shirley's husband Gary and their 3 children and families. I think that accounts for everyone!

I went up to Cyndi's after I got off work Friday night and saw Mom and Dad before they headed home to Spokane on Saturday morning. They made it just barely ahead of the big snow storm we've been experiencing here in the northwest! Dad said the snow was beginning to fall as they pulled into Spokane Saturday evening and I don't think it's stopped yet! Mom is such a good driver, I don't know why I worry...I guess it's my job as their daughter, right?

Cyndi and I spent the weekend baking cookies and playing Draw Four until we were comotose on Saturday night. ( I had had a long day Friday. I got up at 3:30 a.m. to get to the Black Friday sales before I went to work. It was fun, but I was a bit rummy by the time midnight rolled around.) We had so much fun baking cookies, we made more on Sunday. Each year for the past 15 or so years our sister-in-law Celile hosts a cookie exchange the first Saturday in December at 2:00 to kick off the Christmas season. Their house is beautifully decorated including the yard and trees out front. No invitations go out - it's a standing holiday tradition! We drink wine and Ceclie does a white elephant gift exchange, we catch-up with each other and come away with a variety of Christmas cookies to give away as presents.

It has mostly been for women - moms, sisters and girlfriends. I bring my good friend Cheryl - we've been friends now for 30 years. She has been like a sister to me here in Portland. We met when we both 18 after we had "ran away from home" as we call it and met at J.C. Penny's. (Cheryl was Draperies and I was Bed and Bath.) We raised our boys together and now we are getting to be little old ladies together. In the past, we've stopped in Olympia on our way and picked up Tammy and Cyndi, but this year will be different. Tammy has a school conflict, (although Dick still wants to come), and I have to work the night before and so Cheryl and I will be coming up later so I can get a little sleep before hitting the road. If the husbands and sons want to show up, Doug usually entertains them. Thank you Cecile and Doug for making this event a family tradition. We love it!

After the guests go home in the evening, the sisters, (sister-in-laws and serogate sisters), along with Denise, Cecile's mom, all go Christmas shopping until we drop! We spend the night and head home on Sunday after church. I can't wait! Mom usually sends cookies by proxy - Cyndi and I made enough cookies for the entire event this past weekend. I'll forward picutres when I get home.

BTW - Responding to Aunt Sue's question about Aunt Camp: You most certainly are welcome to join us this next year! I will even present you with an honorary megaphone and whistle! We'd LOVE to have you! I'll let you know our plans as it gets closer...

Hope this note finds you all well and getting into the Christmas spirit. Watch for those Christmas cards in the mail and brush up on your caroles. We'll be thinking of you all as the season is upon us and so wish we were closer. Thank you Aunt Sue and Aunt Rose for keeping us connected via this blog - it means so much to the 2L branch of the family to more apart of your lives.

Holiday Blessings!
Let it snow!
Sandi

No comments: