Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Brother John aka 'Pete'

Linda and I are back at he lake together. Mad Dog stayed with me until Linda got here. We've had breakfast already this morning. I'm hoping some of the Abbotts come down this weekend. With all the pictures posted around, Linda feels like she knows who most of my family is. When Rose put that picture of 'Brother John' on the blog that she stole off Nancy's face book and Linda looked at it she didn't know I had a brother John.

Those were great pictures of the first day of school. Thank you, Scott. Mad Dog is going to come over and finish doing some staining on the deck sometime in the next few days. It's a beautiful day here. I haven't seen a single boat yet. Brother sent me some update ''Turnbo Times' but I don't know how to transfer it to the blog so I forwarded it to Rose.

===============

I (Rose) am adding this e-mail from Joe that Sue referred to in the paragraph above.  Joe has a world of information about our family history, and it is always interesting to read when he shares.  Thanks, Brother Joe!


"Subject: Us Krauts or Krouts?

Are we Krauts?

I thought we were part Austrian or Italian, on granddad Felin's side.

I was talking to a patient last Tuesday and he said he went to Anderson School and asked me if I had ever heard of  Anderson School.  I replied something like, yes, I attended grades 1-8 at Anderson Rural School.

His name is David Burney and his ancestry includes the Burney that built the new house just west of the rock house on the corner.  (Where the Hartzel family owned.) Our   brother Bob's best friend was Wally Hartzel. David Burney and Rose must be about the same age?

As I recall, after Hartzel's sold out and moved to Erie, KS, the Stinecipher family acquired the property.  About 1947-48 they auctioned it off and it was purchased by Lawrence and Betty Herman. Our mom also listed the Case tractor at the auction. The Burney guy later purchased a portion of the land from Lawrence and Betty and built the new house.

Fast forward to Jack Herman, who is about our brother Bob's age.  David Burney said he understood Jack Herman's wife had a challenging job cooking breakfast for her husband Jack.  He wanted saurer kraut for breakfast, I think he said fried? I mentioned (to David Burney) this sounds logical as apparently Joe Herman was a "Kraut" meaning of German descent.

It got me to thinking about talking to one of Lawrence Herman's granddaughters, when Lawrence was buried.  She was at her Grandparents Joe Herman's burial site which is very near our family plot. We discussed the connection between our grandparents and she said something like they were all from the same part of Europe.

Now back to Turnbo Creek.  Do you remember what we called the "Cabbage Patch" also "Cabbage Hole"?  Granddad Felin died in 1934, the year I was born, but I remember the old piece of wood he reportedly used to pound the saurer kraut and apparently he kept a barrel of kraut in the "old cellar" alongside his barrels of homemade wine. I guess the "cabbage patch" was where he grew the cabbage?

So much for us Krauts!
Brother Joe"


No comments: