Wednesday, September 01, 2004

You can reach Sue at (314) 452-3685 or (314) 726-2032. You can write to her c/o Rose Holt, 905 Barnard College Lane, St. Louis, MO 63130


I saw Dr. Dooley today. After talking with my former neurologist, Dr. Frank, last week, I decided that a possible course of treatment is immuno-globulin IV injections. Dr. Frank, although he hasn't seen me since late April, thought that treatment is the logical next step for me. So, off to Dr. Dooley who is the one who will have to justify the reason and the expense to my insurance company. Dooley doesn't think the immuno-globulin (IMG therapy) will do any good. He understands my dilemma: do I do nothing and just wait OR do I do something in the hope that it will help me. His concern is the side effects of the IMG--possible diabetes, stroke, heart disease, kidney failure--which are significant.

What we decided during the appointment was that I would resume Solumedrol treatments which we discontinued in early June just prior to my trip to the Mayo Clinic. These treatments, as before, will be done at home by home health care nurses and by Rose and Shirley.

As for the IMG, I plan to go back to Dr. Frank, who is not covered by my new insurance, for a consult. If he still thinks IMG is a possible course of treatment, then I will deal with the question of insurance coverage. Dr. Dooley is writing a letter to Dr. Frank giving him all the test data and information from the past four months.

Dr. Dooley thought I looked very healthy, that I am stronger in the legs, but my hand has worsened. I have gained about ten pounds over the last six months. [This particularly pleases Rose who cannot lose a single pound in spite of hours and days of vigorious exercise. It might be the ice cream, but I won't tell her.]

I feel really good, have been sleeping better for the past few nights, and my spirits are higw. However, I am very frustrated at not being able to do as I have all my life. We work out every day, and I go to physical therapy once every week.

Margaret Anne say her surgeon today for a post-op check-up. She is doing fine. She will have to return in a month, but meanwhile can resume all her normal activities. She and Norm are planning to take their mobile camper to their lake lot this weekend. Catrina, Robbie, Sam and Lizzie will join them.

Sabrina just called. She was on the way to the library with her sons. They must have had some kind of political discussion. Alex said he thought his teacher and a classmate who sits next to him were both Republicans. Sabrina asked, "Well, Alex, what are you?" Alex, after a moment's thought responded, "I think I might be that other thing. What's it called?"

And speaking of politics, here is the latest update from Joe:

"All things considered, it sounds like you are making GOOD progress. Remember you were always very active & busy. Once you get back like most us are in, then you can continue
toward your usual fast pace.

How did "blog" get its name?

Pete & I finally got together this week. I called him. I told him it was Dick Chaney calling. He said "this is George Bush"

More Greenwood news, I also went to the Dr. this morning, a Dermatologist. Sounds almost like a political description. As expected, they took a sample off my nose & it will be analyzed, then will get back to me, in about 2 weeks.

Glad to hear Marge & Mary Pauline are recovering nicely, or getting "some better"

Bye for now,

Have a big Labor Day weekend & hello to everyone."



As to how 'blog' got its name, I think it is shorthand for 'weblog.'

The news from my three sons is:

Chris: He had a suspicious 'thing' removed from his upper back. Turns out it is more than suspicious so he has to go back to have more of the surrounding tissue removed next Tuesday. No Big Deal, he assures me.

Scott: He and his two sons will be heading to the lake around 4:00 pm on Saturday. He is having car troubles and is having to sort all that out. Never fear, Scott, like Sabrina, is the ultimate smart consumer.

Mark: No new word. We need an update, Mark. Let us know how you are mending, and let us know when that fancy new car (Lotus) arrives. We want to take it for a spin and see if it will pop wheelies.

Many of you know Chris is a computer guru. When we have had computer woes, he has tried to teach us things like bytes, drives, rams, roms, DVD, OS, etc. We keep asking, "But is the electric on?" until he gets exasperated.

Well, Sabrina also has kept Rose and me much up-to-date (at least into the '90's.) Just this week I had, at Sabrina's recommend, a 'wax job' on my eyebrows and mustache. It was a first. Believe you me, when that salon operator pulled off the wax, I knew the meaning of "job." It's a little closer to home than computer language and a lot more painful!

Den will be here from Chicago tomorrow. We will head off to the lake for the Labor Day Weekend and will update again early next week.

HAVE A SAFE AND ENJOYABLE HOLIDAY WEEKEND!

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

I'm thinking if you keep up with the waxing it won't be so painful next time. Probably had a lot to remove this time! :-)