Saturday, May 21, 2005

You can reach Sue at (314) 452-3685 or (314) 726-2032. You can write to her c/o Rose Holt, 905 Barnard College Lane, St. Louis, MO 63130


I just opened this chatty, loving, informative, uplifting e-mail from Sandi, Bernie and Maudi's fourth child, and am so happy to be able to share it:


"Hi All!

This is Sandi visiting with the folks in Spokane at the farm. I'm here for a week and happy to move life to their pace - I actually have time to catch up on the blog and my emails!!

So sorry to hear about Uncle Denny! It was just a year ago that Tammy and I were there and he was out in the garage listening to the ball game and cooking up the fish fry for all of us. He is definately in my prayers as you all are.

Life here is just great! I have been busy getting my garden in at home, (Portland). The weather has been cooperating and I have been working somewhat to compete with Uncle Norman's garden. I remember turning green (with envy, not gardening savy...) when I saw how far along his garden was when I was there last April. So far, my tomatoes are knee high and my green beans are close behind.

My nephew, Matthew, who is eight years old, (Steve's son) and I are working together on the garden. In his spot he has strawberries, turnips, sugar peas, a cherry tomato, carrots and forget-me-nots. What a combination. I had to thin the turnips b/c he over seeded and so now Dad has some for his supper in Mom's garden spot here.

Next weekend on Memorial Day, I'll travel to Seattle to spend a couple of days with Doug & Cecile. Mom & Dad are arriving as well, and so I'll be chauffeur for Dad's doctor's appointment at the VA there. They are evaluating his heart to determine if he is strong enough to endure a roto-rootering of the artery in his right leg. The "real" doctors say he is strong enough, but so far the VA in Spokane says they aren't certain. (Dad just thinks they don't want to pay for it...) I'm hoping for his sake, they give him the green light and pay for it and most importantly, that his heart is strong enough. After all, the Old Guy will be 77 in June!

Mom is doing well. She is a soldier! She takes care of all of still. I'm hoping to give her a break so she can go to a salon for a little pampering. They will be leaving on Friday, the 27th to go camping with their friends and then on to Seattle. As usual, Mom gets the 5th-wheel ready, packs the Old Guy into the truck, drives all the way and then cooks up dinner and tucks him into bed. I admire her so much. She does all this with joy and a light heart. (I want to be like her when I grow up!)

I don't want to talk your ears (eyes) off! I miss you and think of you often! I love the pictures and all the news on the blog. Thank you so much for keeping it going!

Please say hi to the family for me! Best wishes to Dave and Sabrina as Dave has the knee surgery. He's too young to be falling apart!

Thanks again for having us last spring. (Happy birthday again Aunt Sue!! XOXOXOXO) I wish we were closer.

Gotta run!
Love,
Sandi"


Last year when Sandi and Tammy abd others travelled so far to come for my big birthday bash, I was deeply touched. We made big plans with Sandi and Tammy to meet up in Chicago later in the year, but, alas, time and trouble got in the way. Some time we still would like to do that, but it won't be for a while.

Mother's 100th birthday is May 1, 2006. That might be a fine time for her progeny to get together somewhere to celebrate this remarkable woman who is THE SOURCE for a lot of the wonderful people we all know, like Sandi. I would love to hear someone take up the challenge to put together a 100th birthday party. I would do it myself were I able.

No comments: