Thursday, October 19, 2006

We left our Dear Readers hanging about Rose's cataract surgery. The operation was a success and the patient lived. She is very happy to have it over and have it turn out so well. Her vision in her left eye is keener than before, and she is eager now to get the right eye corrected. That surgery is scheduled for November 6. Actually, she says the procedure is so simple and quick that to call it "surgery" is a vast overstatement.

I am in St. Louis this week, chauffering Shirley and Rose about. Both, happily, are now back to driving. My plan is to go to the Lake for the weekend for "Old Girls' Weekend."

Saturday is Stephanie and Dan's 25th wedding anniversary. Amazing! Their son Nathan is hosting a bash, to which Shirley and Rose will go. Alas, Old Girls' Weekend was set up a long time ago, and I had to decline Nathan's invitation. On my 60th birthday, Stephanie put together a big photo album of the party, and did it overnight. I hate missing this event.

Scott and Sherry got to attend a great ballgame, the Cardinals and the Mets Game 5 in which the Cardinals cleaned the Mets' plow. Monday was a rainout, but the game was not called until Scott and Sherry were within 80 miles of St. Louis. They had to turn around, go home, rearrange their Tuesday, and then come in for that game. Bless their hearts, they had to be two tired travelers by the time they got back to Louisville in the wee hours of Wednesday morning.

Margaret and Norman have been spending a lot of time at their lake lot. Catrina, Robbie, Sam, and Lizzie come for the weekends and are busy building their own cabin on a lot Margaret and Norman gave them.

Pete and Janet's long-time friend, "Slim" Day died on Sunday. He had been ill for over a year, so the death was not unexpected. He and Pete had been friends since childhood.

Shirley continues to mend. She is going to physical therapy once a week now, can drive, and is able to sleep better. This is one grueling recovery as Janet warned her.

Brayden calls me occasionally. He is at the literal age, as this little conversation will demonstrate:

Me: Brayden, can I come visit you?

B: Yes, Granny. You can sleep with me.

Me: Should I drive my green car or should I come in an orange airplane? [Orange to Brayden is Southwest Airlines.]

B: [In an aside to his Dad and brother]: Did you know Granny can drive an airplane?!



Scott and Chris' long-time (since Kindergarten at least) friend Mark Goldman is writing a novel based on factual family history that he is using as his frame. I have been 'editing' for him and enjoying immensely. I think the thing is going to be a best-seller. Mark teaches middle school English in the Ritenour School District, but his real vocation is Writer.

Dave and Judy Meisel, my lake neighbors, continue to be a godsend. They open the house, set the thermostat for my arrival, and welcome both Maddog and me to dinner often. They are wonderful neighbors.

Maddog's father had surgery on Tuesday to improve the circulation to his legs. He may be released from the hospital in Jefferson City tomorrow. Maddog has been caring for him in recent weeks. I can attest to Maddog's very caring ways.

Our Family Gazette could use Greenwood Items from other places. Please, post tidbits and photos early and often!

No comments: