Saturday, April 21, 2007

Hi Folks! I just got back from Florida on Thursday night and so I missed cataloging Mom and Dad's sad trip to Marshfield and Conway for Uncle Oral's funeral. Uncle Oral was a beloved and respected man in his community and had fought cancer for several years. The cancer finally took its toll on Easter Sunday. The world has lost a truly good man. We will miss him and our hearts go out to their family, especially Aunt Viv and all their children.

Mom and Dad didn't sleep a wink the night before they headed out to the funeral and so the help from Uncle Joe - being their taxi and helping them get settled when they arrived in Springfield and then back again on the way home - was a Godsend. I was so blessed to hear that Uncle Joe was there for them - I can't tell you how much that means to all of us. Thanks again for being there for the parents.

Mom said the turnout at all the services was tremendous and there were so many flowers that they couldn't fit them all in the chapel where the funeral was held. They spilled out into the hallways and filled Aunt Viv's house. The family is definitely in our prayers as they say good-bye to Oral and move ahead with life. It has always struck me as how surreal life is that it just goes on when, in fact, it will never be the same again.

While they were there Mom's Aunt Dorothy passed away from Alzheimer's. She was the last surviving relative of our Grandma and one of Mom's favorite people.

This makes our family reunion coming up even more important to us. We are looking forward to the time together. Mom and Dad are already talking of heading out in mid-June stopping first in Portland for their grandson Dan's college graduation and 21st birthday on the 16-17th. Then they will begin their trek to Missouri. I am talking with Cyndi and her family about making the trip and getting in a visit to Six Flags while we are there.

I was in Florida with my son for a family event there - his dad's side - and we visited Busch Gardens. This has whet my appetite for amusement parks and now I've got Kyle and Jake interested...Good times. I have a dear friend who is in Ozark, MO and so I might try to jog down there for a day or two to check in with her.

I'm reminded by the calendar that Aunt Sue's birthday is coming up. (Its Sunday the 23rd, right?) I hope you have a wonderful day with all of your loved ones spoiling you rotten. Cheers!

No other news here except to say that Cyndi and I are inspired by Chris and Shelly's marathon running. While I don't see why anyone would want to do 26 miles at a time, I love a half marathon. 13.5 miles is doable and you don't feel like you will die at the end. I'm a walker though, not a runner, so my hat is off to you two. Cyndi and I have dusted off our sneakers and are determined to get in a few fun runs this year. Making exercise fun is a necessity in my book. Thanks for the inspiration.

Hope this note finds you all well and enjoying the spring. Have a great weekend. More later...

No comments: