Tuesday, April 27, 2004

You can reach Sue at (314) 452-3685 or (314) 726-2032. You can write to her c/o Rose Holt, 905 Barnard College Lane, St. Louis, MO 63130

The long (and long-awaited) birthday celebration has ended, but I'm still feeling all the love, attention, wishes, hopes, and prayers showered upon me. I'll try to recap some of the highlights since my last entry here.

Last Wednesday evening, Pete and Janet, Margaret and Norman, Rose and Shirley, Brother Joe and I had dinner at Lewis & Clark Restaurant in St. Charles. Joe picked up the tab for Rose, Shirley, and me and managed to sidestep Pete, who would have added the whole table to Joe's tab if he could have. Earlier in the day, Pete had set a great example by treating several of us to lunch. Joe didn't rise to the bait. Thanks, Joe and Pete!

Joe and Pete left Thursday morning to join Donald, et. al., on their deepsea fishing trip. Both said they felt bad that they would miss the party on Friday evening and didn't breathe a word about the surprise "do" planned for Sunday afternoon.

Bernie and Maudie arrived on Thursday, having driven in their truck/camper from Spokane, and Rose and I joined them at the Abbott's for dinner. Janet was there, but Shirley had her last class and couldn't come.

Scott and his two sons, Jalen and Brayden, arrived about 2:00 am on Friday. I konked out, but Shirley and Rose stayed up to greet them and tuck them in.

Things started hopping then on Friday. Den arrived from Chicago in the morning. Kelly and Merri arrived from Boise, Idaho, in the early afternoon. Sally and her granddaughter Amanda drove in from Kansas, as did Joe and Debby. Later in the evening Sandi and Tammy arrived from Portland and Olympia.

The party was great! Chris and Shelly decorated with the help of Shelly's Aunt Kathleen, using the theme "Diamonds are Forever." The clubhouse was the perfect place for this event. Chris' slideshow was a big hit. I want to thank all those who helped set up: Chris, Shelly, Kathleen, Rose, Scott, Jalen, Den, and our bartender Josh. They did a lot of running and a lot of work.

I can't list here all the people who came. It was wonderful! It continues to amaze me that so many friends and family went so out of their way to share my birthday with me. I was deeply touched, and, frankly, quite astonished! Thanks to all who came, who ate and drank, who laughed, who brought gifts and cards and blessings and stories.

And, of course, there was as much work cleaning up as in getting ready. Thanks to all who pitched in: Chris, Shelly, Catrina, Robbie, Den, Merri, Kelly, Sandi, Tammy, Scott, Rose, Doug, Suzanne. No doubt I've missed some.

Den and I spent the night at Chris and Shelly's and felt so very welcome. They gave us their bed and slept on the floor with their two dogs!

Saturday was another big event. We had a fish fry at Rose and Shirley's. Den caught (and confiscated from his brothers) enough crappie to feed a small army. It was raining so he did all the cooking in the garage. We had about 25 family come to that event.

I thought Sunday would be a winding down day with most people leaving either early in the morning or sometime in the afternoon. I stayed in my room at Rose and Shirley's on Saturday night, and Den picked me up Sunday morning so we could tend to some practical matters at our house. Our plan was to go to the Smith's (Sabrina, Dave, Alex, and Brett) in the afternoon to see a few of the family still around. When we arrived, the only car in the driveway was Shirley's. SURPRISE! There were 40 or 50 people hiding in the kitchen area, waiting to sing 'Happy Birthday.' All the cars were parked about a block away. I was taken back, but had to go to the bathroom so badly I could hardly register who all was there. ALL MY SIBLINGS, Bernie, Joe, Pete, Margaret, Rose, Donald! That gathering has only happened a few times in many, many years and only then for sad occasions. This was indeed a joy and a great gift. The Kansas bunch, who had all said tearful goodbyes (crocodile tears, it turns out) the night before, were there. Joe daughter and son-in-law, Lisa and Jack, surprised me and Joe by coming from Springfield.

And here, once again, I have to say THANK YOU! Sabrina opened up her home and her heart to so many, and took two days off work to prepare. The house and yard looked like something from "Better Homes and Gardens." I have no idea who all pitched in for this wondrous surprise--Sabrina, Sephanie, Catrina, Margaret, Janet, Maudie. The weather was good so all the children had a great time playing outdoors. There were perhaps 50 people there.

One great treat, especially for someone like me who insists on instant gratification, were the photos from the Friday party that Stephanie and family organized into albums as a gift for me on Sunday. It was such a big job that it surely took most of Saturday to accomplish. Thank you, Schmitt's!

Everyone departed on Monday except for Bernie and Maudie. Again Monday evening, Margaret and Norm hosted a dinner. It was delicious and gave Rose and me the opportunity to spend some time with Bernie and Maudie whom we hadn't seen a lot of in all the hubbub. Their daughters, Sandi and Tammy, stayed at Rose and Shirley's house while here. We got to spend a lot of time with them and enjoyed getting to know these two wonderfully capable, interesting, and loving nieces. Bernie and Maudie and Margaret and Norm have gone camping together today.

Clearly, it takes a village to celebrate one's 60th birthday as we did this one! Again, THANKS to all for making me feel so loved and cherished.

Monday was my last appointment with Dr. Frank, the neurologist who has been treating me. He assured me that the neurologist I am switching to (Dr. Joseph Dooley) because of insurance restrictions is very competent and someone to trust. I've come to trust Dr. Frank and to love his nurse Beth and will miss both. They both asked me to keep in touch and let them know how I am progressing. Dr. Frank checked me over and thought I am a little stronger in some ways and a little weaker in others. He assured me that I do not have ALS, something I've worried a lot about. But he still has no idea what I do have nor what will cure it. My expectation is that Dr. Dooley will, after consultation with Dr. Frank, continue with the course of treatment we've begun. My last Solumedrol IV infusion is scheduled for this Friday and Saturday. Through all the dinners, parties, gatherings, conversations, and travelling about, I have felt great. My energy has been good, and my balance continues to improve.

Today has been busy. Physical therapy, hand therapy, and healing touch therapy this morning.

Already, Shirley, Rose, and I are plotting and planning for how and when we can get Scott and children back here for a visit.

There was a great deal of interest in a family reunion. I think it would be a really good idea to start the planning for one, possibly during the summer of 2005. If you have suggestions for such an event, let me know. I will need a lot of help pulling one together, but there seem to be a number of nieces and nephews willing to spearhead the planning. Sandi (Bernie's daughter) is starting a family news weblog, and that might be a way to broaden the word beyond this weblog. Please e-mail us any suggestions, and we will post them. The main thing that would have to happen soon is to set the date and place.

Again, if anyone wants information or news posted here, please let me know. Catrina gathered e-mails from everyone and has already distributed them. Thank you, Catrina! If anyone who reads them, would like his/her name added to Catrina's list or didn't get the list, please let us know.

No comments: