Wednesday, December 20, 2006


Brother Joe visited the Marshfield Cemetery where he took this photo of our parents' gravesite. Donald and Vita, as they do every year at this time, sent the beautiful wreath which you see here.
We had been worried because of all the bad weather in the Pacific Northwest. Here is Sandi's e-mail, giving us detail about the situation there:


"Hi Aunt Sue,

What a week! Here in Portland we got hit with some wind and short lived power outages. Glenn was without power for a few hours. Up north, however is another story! Cyndi and Dave have been out of power since Thursday night at 9pm. Cyndi came down Friday after work for our shopping weekend and if we had had any idea their power would still be out we would have had her bring the boys. They have a gas fireplace in their family room, a gas water heater and stove, so they can keep warm and cook some, but with no power for their refriderator or blow dryer or laundry or lights or t.v....it is getting a bit old by now. They have lost all the food in their refridgerator and have carted off some of the freezer stuff to friends. What an ordeal! Dave said his restaurant is doing a record business because so many people are having to eat out! It's been a long few days for them.

I haven't heard about Tammy, she is away on vacation and Tyson is in Spokane, so I'm not certain if they are still out of power or not.

In Seattle, Doug called to say that a tree fell on their house. No one was hurt and it apparently did little damage. Mostly, it took out the covering over the deck and and just laid across the roof. He had to get up there and cut it down. I don't know if he's making light of it or if it was not a big deal. He called today to say that they got their power back this afternoon - finally! They'd been out since Thursday night at 10pm. Honestly! School had been cancelled and is now out until after Christmas break.

Mom and Dad are doing okay in Spokane although it is getting colder - tomorrow it's getting down to 14 degrees. Tyson is there helping them keep warm with fire wood and nice fire.

I told Aunt Margret that since I work for the BPA, I guess I got special treatment! I had power the whole time!

Thanks for checking in with us.

Love,
Sandi"
We've had a busy few days here in St. Louis getting ready for Christmas. Rose, Shirley and I put our tree up last night. I spent the weekend with the Abbotts and their house is ready for Santa, too. Shirley is baking some fruitcake goodies while I'm in the process of typing this.
Mark and Karen took Rose, Chris and me out to a special lunch last Friday. Rose and Shirley spent the weekend in Chicago. Goldman dropped me at the Abbotts and Margaret and I spent the weekend laughing and talking about the old days on Turnbo. We had to get some clarifications from the older brothers about some fuzzy remembrances which weren't very clarifying. Chris and Shelly took us out to dinner on Sunday.
Scott got his two sons a go cart for Christmas. Scott said he had always wanted one when he was a kid but I said I don't remember his ever asking. He said he and Chris never asked because they knew it was either dinner or a go cart. I asked Chris if he remembers it that way and he said yes and he only went to school so he could get lunch. You would think they would be a bit kinder with Christmas so close.



No comments: