Tuesday, August 07, 2007

I'm back home after our annual 'kids' week at the lake. Most of these 'kids' are approaching middle age but they still enjoy the same things they've always enjoyed. Goldman, Maddog, Scott, Ding, Groves, Doug, Lynch who's Maddog's brother, and a newcomer, Schwanner, were the guys who showed up, and Shelly and I were the only women there. The guys spread a load of peat gravel between the house and the new concrete driveway. I asked Scott "How much?" He replied "How much gravel or how much did it cost?" I meant both. After they completed this chore they jumped in the lake. It was the first time Goldman had been in the water in two years. They were HOT.

They were pretty good cooks but left something to be desired in cleanup. Scott did most of the breakfasts and never cooked too much bacon. Maddog did the vegetables - which consisted of fried potatoes if I hadn't complained about the menu. Cooks were spared cleanup, but there always seemed to be a skillet soaking. They didn't allow Ding to make his medium rare French toast again.

IF they put a roll of paper towels or toilet tissue on the roller, they put it on backward. I was never able to convince them that there was a right way and a wrong way. They couldn't see that it matters. Maybe they have a point. Schwanner and Groves had worked with Scott in Columbia and followed him to Louisville. Schwanner is a heavyset guy who says he stays heavy because fat guys are less likely to get kidnapped. He loved the lake, the lakehouse, and the waverunner and plans to come back Labor Day. These men - I have been referring to them as my harem - took special care of me last week and never made me feel like a drag on them. Thank you, guys and Shelly, for all your help, love and attention.

Rose got home from Chicago today. She went up Sunday so it was a short trip. Shirley is about recovered from her bout of bronchitis. Her doctor gave her 4 prescriptions so she should be on the mend.

No comments: