Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Rose spent a long day on Monday for a faculty orientation for a class she will be teaching this fall through the Aquinas Institute of Theology. It is a class on the fundamentals of Jungian Psychology (her specialty), and she is happy to have this opportunity. This is shaping up to be a very busy Fall for reasons of classes, surgeries, along with the usual press of life. Shirley will also be teaching a class and will be having the shoulder surgery that she had to postpone earlier because she was so ill.

Rose took me to the neurologist this morning to discuss the 'hole in my head' surgery. He had reviewed all my records, discussed my condition with neurosurgeons at Barnes, weighed the pros and cons of the procedure, and came to the conclusion that it would be beneficial. The procedure involves putting electrodes through a hole in my head directly on the brain to detect exactly where the seizures originate. If they originate on only one side, they will somehow fix it. If they find it's on both sides, they can't fix it. Either way, I will have to continue to take some medication. He said it is normally not a risky operation; the main risk would be the possibility of infection.

He left the final decision up to me. Rose and I had already discussed what I should do before our consultation with this neurologist and agreed that I should have the procedure. Without hesitation I opted to have it. I asked if it would be before Labor Day and he replied "I hope so".

This doctor was movie star handsome and much younger than the dermatologist we saw last week. He took the place of my neurologist who had left Barnes and he asked me if he had seen me when I was in the hospital before. I'm sure he hadn't because I wouldn't have forgotten him.

Margaret says they are getting lots of tomatoes from their garden and we'd best hurry out to get some before Norm gives them all away.

Brayden started his first day of Pre-K today. His other grandmother took him and it took her 30 minutes to leave. She called Scott crying herself. Shirley didn't make us feel any better. She used to teach first grade and sometimes had to carry the kids in crying, kicking, and screaming.

No comments: