Monday, November 19, 2007

This is a correction for KU, K State, and MU fans. I posted the wrong opponents for Saturday's game. Missouri beat Kansas State, not Kansas University. Scott corrected me with a hint of impatience. He says Missouri will beat Kansas University NEXT week. Sorry, KU fans, I guess.

I had a nice Email from Mike Madden. He and his wife are hosting Thanksgiving Dinner and are serving some of the wine made from his vinyard. His daughter, Lauren, is studying to be an oentologist (I hope I spelled that right) which is the study of wine making. Mike says his and Brian's ambitions in life were to be St. Louis Cardinals. He hasn't given up hope. Lauren's sounds more achievable.

Rose and I went to the neurosurgeon this morning. We had lots of questions, and he had lots of answers. The first procedure we discussed is scheduled for January 8. The neurosurgeons will insert electrodes through incisions on each side of my head onto the surface of my brain. The wires will be attached to monitors. Prep will require shaving both sides of my head for this. I will be in pain for a few days, but the neurosurgeon said they will be certain I'm given pain medication. I'll be in the intensive care unit for one or two days after this procedure. Then I'll go into a monitoring room (audio and visual), similar to the one I was in last time, except the electrodes will be inside my head instead of outside.

Then we just wait. Last time it was six days before I had any seizures, but Dr. Dowling said sometimes it might take two weeks. Before, the doctors took away all seizure medication, but Dr. Dowling, the neurosurgeon, will let Dr. Hogan, the neurologist, make the decision on the dosage of that medicine. The neurologists want me to have seizures so they determine very definitely which side of my brain the seizures are generated from. They believe they are generated from the right side, but to be as positive as they can be before they do the actual surgery is the reason they are doing this complicated monitoring.

Should they find the seizures do originate from the right side of my brain as they all think they probably do, the actual surgery will mean a much shorter hospital stay, a less painful operation, perhaps reduced medication in the future, a probability of driving once again, and maybe others things I haven't even thought of. There will be some healing time between the first procedure and the actual operation. Dr. Dowling says the span of time is required to insure no infections set in. This was a good meeting with Dr. Dowling and very informative. However, I'm glad today is over.

No comments: