Wednesday, July 07, 2004

You can reach Sue at (314) 452-3685 or (314) 726-2032. You can write to her c/o Rose Holt, 905 Barnard College Lane, St. Louis, MO 63130


It is Wednesday evening. Still no word from the Mayo Clinic. Rose and I are at my Oakland House because there is a power outage at their house. The outage is the reason we haven't been able to update this weblog for a few days.

Shirley's brother-in-law, Lee, died on Sunday. Shirley is in Lake Charles, LA, for the funeral and will return on Saturday.

Den and I came home from the Lake on Monday. Den drove back to Chicago on Tuesday morning. Chris took me to my physical therapy appointment Tuesday afternoon, and we picked Rose up on hitchhiking on Delmar. [Actually, she had taken the Metrolink Station from the airport to a point Chris and I could easily call for her since we couldn't get to the airport in time for her arrival.]

The St. Louis area had severe storms on Sunday and Monday. There are still power outages in the area and the Barnard College House has not had power since Sunday evening. Rose and I stayed at the Oakland House last night and thought the power would surely be back on today, but NO, not yet.

We've had to sort of 'camp out' for these couple of days, eating here and there, including a 'sticky bun' from the Bread Company this morning and a dinner this evening at Pasta House.

Margaret and Norm stopped by the Oakland House on Tuesday and brought green beans from their garden. If they had any tomatoes, they kept them. They and much of their family spent the day on Sunday at daughter Stephanie and Family's celebration.

Scott and Brayden will arrive tomorrow evening. We will be keeping Brayden for eight days.

Pete and Joe both called on the Fourth. I talked to Joe but only got Pete's message. One of the things Pete told me not long ago was that he got a card on Father's Day from his grandson, Chris, about all the things Pete had taught him. One of the most helpful lessons was how to pee in the carport.
Pete probably taught my sons the same lesson.

[And this is a note from Rose. Most of you know what a wonderful sense of humor Sue has, and most know that she has always had two names, Martha and Sue. There are many historical stories about either 'Martha' or 'Sue,' depending upon whether she was with family or with friends. With all the new experiences she is having, sometimes she tells people she is 'Martha,' sometimes 'Sue'. This all started in First Grade when she was too shy to tell Miss Deckard that people called her by her middle name, Sue.

I had a delightful example of 'Martha Sue' humor this morning. She was doing her exercises in the living room floor when out of the blue, she said, "I don't remember whether I said I would call Mary Lenihan (her body therapist) or she said she would call me when she returned." Then there was a pause, after which, she said, "Actually, I don't remember whether I am Martha or Sue with Mary."]






No comments: