Tuesday, July 20, 2004

You can reach Sue at (314) 452-3685 or (314) 726-2032. You can write to her c/o Rose Holt, 905 Barnard College Lane, St. Louis, MO 63130
 
 
Turns out if you right click on any photo, you can print it or do a number of other things with it.  For those of you who want some of the photos you see, help yourselves.
 
Dr. Dooley, my neurologist, called today.  He had assessed the report from Dr. Smith at the Mayo Clinic and, while there is no definitive diagnosis, Dr. Smith is leaning toward ALS and recommends a follow-up evaluation in six to nine months.  This is NOT what I wanted to hear, but there is hope in that ALS is a catch-all diagnosis and I don't exhibit some of the classical symptoms one would expect.  KEEP PRAYING FOR ME!  Something has been helping.  I definitely am stronger and can do things I could not do in February.  However, I have lost more use of my hands, and that is a worrisome development.  My Physical Therapist has noted improvement in some areas and tells me to keep doing whatever it is that I am doing.
 
Right after my conversation with Dr. Dooley, I saw my primary care physician for my plugged-up ear.  He was wonderful, but then totally forgot I was waiting in an examining room and left!  He was encouraging, i.e., he was encouraging before he forgot me.  Oh, these physicians, must be a tough way to make a living these days.
 
I'm vacillating between a state of despair and one of hopefulness.  Whatever it is, this is one miserable disease.  I keep doing my daily workouts and ALL the exercises my physical therapists recommend.   We keep the 'Slim and Bulges' workout room quite busy.  The equipment has not turned out to be an extra closet, which has been the case most of our lives not just for us but for a lot of folk we know.
 
Anyway, I will see Dr. Dooley next week for a more thorough consult and will post an update after that.
 
We are back to normal--whatever that is.  Shirley leaves tomorrow for Chicago.  Den will arrive for a week on Friday.  Rose will leave for Chicago on Saturday.  Tomorrow I see my healing practitioner for massage, and Thursday my friend Mary is coming for lunch.
 
The Cardinals, once again, have 'whupped' the Cubs.  With two Cubs fans in this house, it is a little difficult to root for the old home team, but I do it anyway and enjoy it.  And besides that, the Cubs never win anything anyway, so what's the big deal?
 
Right now, Shirley is in the kitchen cooking up some comfort food--one of our favorite cookies and some she likes too.   Tomorrow, it is back to the workout room!
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

Rose F. Holt said...

LOL! I am just reading this comment for the first time. Thanks! Those crazy Cubs lost again today. But just now those crazy Cardinals are losing, Big Time. They will have to lose a whole lot to catch up with the Cubs. There, see how Cubs lovers think?