Thursday, July 22, 2004

You can reach Sue at (314) 452-3685 or (314) 726-2032. You can write to her c/o Rose Holt, 905 Barnard College Lane, St. Louis, MO 63130

 
Hi, it's Rose.  Sue and I were remembering this morning one of the more unusual experiences we've shared.  It happened like this.  I was living in Evanston, IL, and commuting to St. Louis weekly where I stayed with the Abbotts two days while I worked.  Sue helped me find an apartment in St. Louis after about a year of this lifestyle, and came to Evanston to help me bring some furniture for the apartment in a U-Haul Truck.  It was winter.  We drove to the west side of Chicago to pick up the truck.  It began to snow.  We dropped the car back at the house and went into downtown Evanston with the truck to pick up a bookcase I had purchased.  Also, I had a dental appointment and was about to be late for it.  Mind you, Sue had never before been to downtown Evanston nor had she ever driven a U-Haul truck, so I drove.  [Actually, I had never driven one before either, but easily daunted we are not.]  The furniture store and the dentist's office were a couple of blocks apart, and we could not find a place to park this U-Haul as it was rush hour.  Finally, I just got out, quickly asking Sue to find a place to park and meet me.  I indicated the building the dentist's office was in, and left.  It was dark by now and the snow was blinding. 

When I finished with the dentist, there was Sue, calmly sitting in the waiting room reading a magazine.  All she said was, "It's a good thing you gave me a toothbrush  that had your dentist's name on it.  Otherwise, I would never have found this place."  It was a big building.  She had driven around until she found a place to park where she would not have to back up. 

We picked up the bookcase and next day drove to St. Louis. 

Sue has been to physical therapy this morning, and Mary will be along soon for lunch.  More later.


No comments: