Saturday, March 10, 2007

Bonjour! Je suis a la maison encore! I am finally home again from my trip and posting some pics and news from the northwest and from the French West Indies. I spoke with Kaye yesterday from Boise, ID. She is heading home with Mom and Dad and they were stopping to see Kelly and also Glenn's children if they could. It sounded like they were having a good trip and should be home in the next couple of days. Tyson and I are going up to see them next weekend. Tyson will head down to Portland and we'll leave from here on Saturday for a short visit and then home on Monday. I am looking forward to seeing them and catching up.





Me, Tammy and Kaye in Olympia a few summers ago!


Thursday was Tammy's birthday! Happy Birthday Tam!



I had a wonderful vacation in the tropics. I was on a small, French-speaking island in the Caribbean. It was warm, beautiful, friendly and relaxing. I flew overnight to San Juan, Puerto Rico and then to Guadeloupe the next day. I was greeted by warm weather and warm smiles to the small airport there. No one was impressed with my French - especially me. I didn't realize how much I didn't know until people started talking to me. They talk so fast! They were very kind and many people I met were happy to practice their English, so I enjoyed hearing their British accents and learning how to converse in my pathetic French. I have since picked up some books and am determined to work on it for the next time...








Denise and I on the beach. Can you see that clear blue water? We did lots of snorkeling with her two fearless boys! 5 year old Nathan and 8 year old Matthieu.


Here's Nathan getting ready to jump in!



















I stayed with the family of my good friend Denise, (I found out her nick name is Didi...that was fun!) Denise's father had passed away and the family was gathered there for the funeral. In spite of the sad circumstance we had a marvelous time. Denise is the tenth child out of a brood of fourteen! Makes our family seem small, doesn't it? I fit right in. Her brothers were very fun (much like mine!) and had decided they were on a mission to find me a husband. Unfortuately, my list of qualifications must have been too tough because I came away without any prospects...

We had lots of family dinners as several of Denise's brothers and sisters and their families live very close. They are all great cooks with lots of fresh fruit and seafood the meals were fabulous. The french bread and cheese alone would be worth living on. Needless to say, I am dieting furiously since being home.
Can you say Lobster?
At one dinner, everyone was trying to come up with a French name for me, but all they could come up with was something that meant, "full of sand". Not too flattering! So, Denise's brother George finally declared I should be called "George" since it is the same in every language. I think I'd rather be called "full of sand"! I felt like they were family and I made some dear friends! I'm sure I'll go back!


We hiked to the top of the point where this huge cross marks the Pointe De Chateaux, a beautiful lookout over the Atlantic Ocean. You can almost see the entire island from up here and the perch lends a view of nearby islands that seem just a few miles off the shore. The surf is especially rough and rocky here and filled with strong undertows and poisioneous black sea urchins. No swimming here.
That's me just to the right of the base of the cross. The view from up here is breathtaking.

About 30 years ago an overloaded passenger ferry filled with 200 peop;e capsized off this coast and only 5 people survived - Denise's dad, cousin and three of her brothers made it safely to shore at this treacherous point. We think the cross signifies the Grace of God to the Yoyotte family!
The outdoor markets are incredible. They are filled with native people selling their fresh fruits and vegetables and spices! The spices were especially great for this tourist. Fresh saffron and vanilla bean and columbo and nutmeg to name just a few. They also use lots of local herbs for homeopathic remedies. I bought some fresh jams (confiture) made from pineapple, mango, guava and coconut. This picture doesn't do it justice. The locals don't want their pictures taken and if you hover at a certain booth you get swooped by the owner and are compelled to buy something. I had to sneak this one in. Can you see the bottles of rum and fresh juices? Amazing!

I hope it was interesting for you.Thank you for indulging me with my pictures. I had a marvelous time but was happy to be home to America. To English. To news and familiar faces. We had lots of adventures, but there is no place like home.
I look forward to seeing you all in the summer! More news after I get home from Spokane!
Love you,
Sandi

No comments: