Tuesday, March 27, 2007

We had a wonderful weekend at the lake. Goldman picked me up about 11 on Friday and off we went. Danny Cullinane was there with a fishing pole in his hand. Goldman and I grocery shopped then Goldman picked Maddog up. Danny cooked steaks on the grill for a great dinner. Doug and Chris arrived sometime after I went to bed.

On Saturday morning the work began. Doug is the foreman, but is also a very hard worker. Ray arrived with his trailer early Saturday morning. There was much measuring and planning going on after his arrival. After some exchange of opinions and ideas, off they went to Home Depot. Goldman is the 'cabin bitch' and was in charge of breakfast with Chris's help. The guys outside were unloading lumber, tearing out some of the old deck, digging around in the rocks, and other manual chores. The outside workers accused the cooks of frying one slice of bacon at a time. Goldman said "No, they were cutting each slice in half and frying it that way". We had kosher brisket for dinner. Goldman used his grandmother's recipe and she would have been proud of the results.

Work progressed all day. Tired as they were, they had a poker game that night. When they went earlier to get the lumber, they had my credit card. Maddog and Goldman got back much later than the other guys because they were looking for a hooker who would take credit cards. I don't think they found one

Danny's daughter's fourth birthday was Sunday so he had to leave in time to get home for the party. Chris and I left around noon. Ray had to leave Monday. Some are going to try to get back next weekend. In spite of all the work, these guys seem to enjoy it. Scott arrived here in St. Louis and brought Brayden to us on Monday. He says he wouldn't have missed this week if he had had malaria. Derrington and Dane arrived today. We have lots of great neighbors down there, and Jack and Teresa who live next door are making supper for the guys tonight. One year the boys had no heat or water, but I never heard any of them complain.

All the guys call me mom or momma. Some of the newer neighbors down there wonder just how many kids I have. The guys rigged up a video cam so they can show me their progress. They certainly aren't slacking. I'm so eager to see it for real. I'm hoping to get there for Easter weekend.

I can't thank the guys enough for their labor and their wives and girlfriends for the loan of their spouses. I remember their teenage days when I didn't like them, and they didn't like me. Now they are indispensible to me in lots of ways. Whatever I did to deserve their love, help, and attention is one of the best things that I've ever done.

Rose and Shirley have a worhshop all day Saturday. We have Brayden until Sunday, so he and I are going to Suzanne's so Brayden can play with Luke and Josie and I can visit with Suzanne on Saturday. It's a lots like ToyRUs at their house.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Margaret. Rose and I can never remember if the date is the 27th or 28th so don't worry about our posting the year. She and Norm are visiting his family in North Carolina.

I still haven't got much respone about the dates for our get together this summer. Get on it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Margaret's birthday is March 28th as well as Nathan, Stephanie's son. Brother Bob's birthday was the 27th.