Monday, March 12, 2007

I got my times confused this morning. I got up at 6, thinking it was 7, but it was really 5. Maudie taught me years ago 'Spring Forward, Fall Behind', but I did the opposite.

Margaret called me yesterday to check to see if I had had any more "chicken strokes". Joe, would you put in the comment section how it was that I got saddled with the nickname 'Chicken stroker" and also "Pepe la Peu". I've been called these nicknames for over 60 years, thanks to Joe. He named Rose 'Charlie Brown' and Margaret 'Bloomer Leg'. And Joe NEVER forgets.

Bob's favorite story that always made him laugh was when we once went to see Aunt Lois in Great Bend, KS., in perhaps 1978. I hadn't seen Aunt Lois for years, but Bob who lived near Great Bend had. He sent me to the door by myself to see if she would recognize me. She didn't. When I told her who I was, she looked me over good and exclaimed, "Why, you used to be such a pretty little thing." After taking another look she said, "Well, your hair is still pretty." Bob loved to tell this story to anyone who would listen.

We had this homely, fat girl who lived near us in Marshfield. Her name was 'Dorothy May'. We used to tease Donald about her and would call him "DoRnald." He hated this and would tell Mom on us. We would lie and swear we said Donald - not Dornald. Donald, we were really saying "DoRnald."

Margaret was telling me about Rose fighting with 'the Smiley girl' on the way home from school when we still lived on the farm. Margaret says Rose bloodied the little girl's nose. Rose doesn't remember what the fight was about, nor does Margaret. Does anyone else remember? Rose hates this story.

I've been kinda down in the dumps but, after waking up so early and thinking about some of these incidents, I'm much cheered up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pete remembers well the altercation between Rose and "the Smiley girl". Rose grabbed her by her shirt collar and whacked her a good one right across her nose. He doesn't remember why though. I'm sure there was a good reason. He also remembers Sue yelling to Rose,"come on, we're at war with the Johnsons again." Better not fool with those two sisters!