Wednesday, November 17, 2004

You can reach Sue at (314) 452-3685 or (314) 726-2032. You can write to her c/o Rose Holt, 905 Barnard College Lane, St. Louis, MO 63130


It’s Rose again with an update. Sue is still in the intensive care unit here at St. Francis. She has had a pretty good day today–much better than yesterday. This morning she started getting solid food. The physician ordered some kind of test that meant her urine had to be collected over a period of 24 hours. That collection ended at 2:00 pm today. Shortly after that, she got rid of the catheter that had been plaguing her. She also had an MRI today. We have yet to hear the results of that. Sue had a tranquilizer for the MRI, and it has yet to wear off. She has slept the good part of today.

So far, all of the tests have revealed nothing. The neurologist, Dr. O’Brien, was in and said so many intelligent things that we didn’t understand a word. We expect Sue will be moved to a regular room soon and released in a few days. However, Dr. Costas, our answer/medicine man, hasn’t come in yet. We’ll know more after we talk with him. He’s good at explaining things other physicians can’t.

Shirley went to St. Louis today to greet her friends, Dena, Tim, Jamil, and Layla, when they arrive tomorrow. She will keep the children while Dena and Tim go to Jefferson City then Iowa City for music gigs.

Chris and Shelly are driving here. We expect them any time now. Sue and I have talked to lots of people today–Stephanie, Sabrina, Scott, Shirley, Kim, Aaron. Also today, Sue and Den were able to talk by phone. Den’s plan is to transfer to SSM Rehab in Clayton on Saturday. Kim and Aaron are traveling to New Hampshire to help him with the transfer.

I can definitely say now that there is no earthly force that can cancel out Sue’s sense of humor. At one point today, I said to her, "Look at you, your ass is hanging out. For Shame!" Quick as a wink and with that dry way of hers, she responded, "The shame is noone is looking."
This is Sue’s message for the day:

"Keep those cards and letters coming. I’m going to be moved from critical to less-critical care. If things go well, I’ll go to an ordinary floor. One of the side effects of some medication is that I’ve been having nightmares today, well, maybe ‘daymares.’ Sometimes I’m awake; sometimes asleep.

I have had my Nancy Hafla rosary with me through all this. Today Father Bill came in to visit. I had him bless the rosary, something I’ve wanted since I got it. Father Bill also anointed me, gave me communion and did some praying with Rose and me."

No comments: